Thursday 27 June 2013

Summer Vacation!

Yesterday was the first day of summer vacation for my 7 year old.  This means that my sewing time will either be greatly reduced or will happen mostly at night.  At least that was what I thought!  For a few years now, she has been asking me to teach her how to sew.  And when I bought my Pfaff, I kept the old Singer thinking it would be a good machine to learn on.


Yesterday we got her set up.  She's close enough for me to help her and still sew on my own machine.  I started her out practicing basic straight lines and then lining up her stitches at 1/4".  It didn't take her long to get bored and she declared she wanted to make a blanket for her baby cousin.  I can't say I blame her since she just spent 20 minutes watching me FMQing :)


I pulled out my bin of scraps precut to 3 1/2" squares and she started choosing.  And sewing.  And pressing and pinning.  Before long she had her first collection of four squares.


For the most part they look really good for a first attempt.  Only one is extremely wonky :)  And she's standing behind me eagerly waiting to go down and work some more!

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday!

9 comments:

  1. Yeay for teaching kids how to sew young!! I think it is great.

    love her blocks to include the wonky one---she did a superb job mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! She did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fantastic! It's great to share the joy of creating with kids. Thank you so much for linking up at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! So so cute. My 3-year-old little boy asks to make a quilt all the time... He says he'll do it "when he's old enough to touch a sharp needle."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so cute! She did a terrific job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Her points are matching up better than some of mine do. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun! It's looking great. Going to be an awesome quilt i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got to be kidding...your 7 yr old made those 4 patches? She did a more then excellent job!! She is ready for learning. So glad you didn't ignore her request to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fab new quilter! Clearly it is in the genes as I couldn't have done that at 7!

    ReplyDelete