Friday, 4 April 2014
Friday Finish: Scrappy Strings
This quilt has been a bit of an obsession for me. Way back in September I made four blocks when I was having a crappy day and absolutely loved them. I love the process and the effect of the finished blocks. But then I was hit with a pile of obligation/deadline sewing. But I thought about those blocks often and yearned to make more.
In January , I got back to them but was thwarted by a lack of prepared strings. In March, when I started sorting and cutting my scraps this quilt shuffled it's way to the top of the pile. Once I started, I just couldn't stop.
I absolutely LOVE this quilt. I wish that it was staying in my home. But it makes me very happy to be giving a quilt I love so much to a person I love that much. I met my neighbour Charlotte a few days after we closed on our house and we just connected. Sometimes you just know from the first meeting that someone will play a large role in your life and that's what it was.
My original goal was to make it 72" square so she could snuggle under it with her three boys. But I ran out of strings and wanted to finish it and gift it to her more than I wanted to get stuck on a size. So it finishes at 60" x 66" which is still a good snuggle size. Each block is 6 1/2" square (unfinished). I followed Maureen's QAYG tutorial, using batting as my foundation. I cut the batting 7" square as it stretched some during piecing and squared it up at the end.
It's my first quilt backed with Ikea's Britten which may not have been the best choice. You can see the seam allowances through the back as it's quilt thin. But, I'm not dwelling :) I quilted diagonal lines through the white centers in both directions and bound it with a scrappy binding.
It's in the wash as I write this and will head off to it's new home tomorrow.
Linking up with Amanda Jean! (So happy she is back from her online hiatus!!)